If anyone tells you a vegan diet is about deprivation, share this recipe with them for the ultimate party food: vegan jalapeno poppers!
12 jalapeno peppers
8 ounces vegan cream cheese. (Tofutti makes one, as well as Miyoko’s, or you can see a video below on how to make it from scratch.)
1 cup soy milk (approximately)
1 cup flour (approximately)
1 box Shake and Bake (check ingredients, all flavors vary)
Canola or vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Thoroughly wash your peppers. Cut the top caps of your peppers off. Using a knife dig the veins and seeds out of your peppers (be careful not to cut yourself).
- With either a piping bag or a butter knife fill your peppers up with your cream cheese. Put a little dot of cream cheese on the top cap of your peppers and then seal them back on your pepper using the cream cheese.
- Roll your peppers in your soy milk and immediately coat them in flour. Let them dry for about 5-10 minutes. Then roll your peppers in soy milk again and then roll them in your shake and Bake. Let them dry for 10 more minutes.
- Heat your oil to about 370 degrees. Drop them in the oil and let fry for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and let sit for a few minutes before eating.
How to Make Vegan Cream Cheese
This video from Chef Jana shows you how to make vegan cream cheese in case you want to make it from scratch: