- 1 (48-ounce) container unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup raw unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise and beans scrapped
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- In a large saucepan add the almond milk, coconut, almonds, sugar, dates, split vanilla bean and seeds, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Place over medium heat and slowly bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Be careful not to boil.
- Turn off the heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks and discard.
- Using a kitchen blender, and working in batches, blend the eggnog on high for about 1 minute. Stain the eggnog through a fine chinois (strainer) into a glass or metal bowl. Using a wooden spoon, gently press the strained solids firmly against the chinois to extract as much liquid and flavor as possible. Dispose of the solids. Repeat this process with the remaining mixture.
- Chill the strained eggnog for at least 1 hour or more if serving cold
- To serve, stir about 1 tablespoon of rum per 1 cup of eggnog. Ladle into serving glasses and garnish with a dash of nutmeg on top. If serving warm, add the run and enjoy right away.
Visit Andrea’s blog Simmer + Sauce for more recipes (though not all are vegan!)