The perfect treat for a winter’s night in, this spicy mulled wine with cinnamon and brandy is a great way to relax and plan for the New Year.
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 orange, peeled and juiced
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 star anise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Orange peel, for garnish (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- Using a medium stockpot, add the wine, brandy, apple cider, orange peel, orange juice, agave, vanilla extract, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pod, star anise and ground cloves. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Using a fine strainer, strain the mulled wine and discarding the flavoring agents.
- To serve, garnish with fresh orange peel and cinnamon stick if desired.
Visit Andrea’s blog Simmer + Sauce for more recipes. (Note to my vegan visitors, not all recipes are are vegan.)