Hemp shoes are happy shoes because they check all of the boxes:
- They’re eco-friendly
- They’re durable
- They’re (usually) vegan
- They’re comfortable and breathable
- And they’re stylish!
As we become a more environmentally conscious society, wearing shoes made of sustainable, cruelty-free materials speaks volumes about our personal values and social awareness.
And suddenly the natural aesthetic of hemp shoes isn’t just for hippies anymore! In my book, these are some of the most eco chic and fashion forward shoes you can find today. While it’s true most styles of shoes made from hemp are casual, we’re starting to see more dress styles, and I anticipate options will only continue to expand as more designers experiment with this wonder material, and more consumers see the light.
What makes hemp an ideal material for shoes?
Hemp is proving itself to be one of the most versatile, eco-friendly materials around:
- The hemp plant grows easily, and sustainably, without the use of pesticide, herbicides, and fungicides, thus much of the hemp fiber you find is organic.
- The naturally anti-microbial properties of the hemp plant make it an ideal material for shoes, as it doesn’t hold on to odors like other materials like leather and some synthetics do.
- Hemp is hypoallergenic, so unlike materials like wool, it won’t irritate your skin.
- Furthermore, hemp fiber is extremely strong, which makes it durable enough for shoes.
- But as a natural fiber, unlike synthetics, hemp will eventually decompose. This is a good thing because your hemp shoes will have a lighter environmental footprint than shoes made with petroleum-based materials or animal skin that’s treated with preservatives.
Hemp Shoes for Women
These comfy ladies’ slip-on shoes from Sanuk have 100% hemp uppers. They’ve also got a cushioned EVA footbed and rubber soles.
Available colors: black, red, gray, and natural
Available colors: gray multi
These ladies’ hemp sneakers are handmade in the Ukraine. They’re naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic. If you’re concerned about their light color, no worries! You can throw these puppies into the washing machine.
Available colors: natural hemp
With their side zips and little ankle charms, these cute ladies’ hemp high tops are both comfortable and durable. They’re handmade and machine washable.
Available colors: dark gray
Fans of Vibram’s “barefoot” athletic shoes swear by them for both comfort and performance. Now Vibram has come out with a style in hemp, and Earth lovers everywhere can rejoice.
Available colors: brown and black
Available colors: light gray and natural tan
Hemp Boots for Women
Available colors: dark gray
Made with organic hemp, these cute desert boots are hand made to order. Visit Hemp Organic Life’s Etsy store to see more of their Earth-friendly designs.
Available colors: navy blue and natural
Lovely flowers are hand-appliquéd on these sweet, eco-friendly hemp moccasins. See more designs in Ukrainian Tradition OK’s Etsy store.
Available colors: off-white and other colors
Hemp Sandals for Women
Virblatt imports a variety of ethnic fashions made with eco-friendly hemp. These wedge sandals are handmade in Thailand. They have combo t-straps and ankle straps with open toes.
Available colors: red multi and black multi