Hemp shoes check a lot of positive boxes. They’re eco-friendly and durable, plus they’re usually vegan-friendly. In addition, hemp material breathes and it gets softer with wear, so like your favorite sneakers or jeans, hemp shoes break in well to create the perfect fit.
As we become a more environmentally conscious society, wearing shoes made of sustainable, cruelty-free materials speaks volumes about your personal values and social awareness.
Hemp shoes are stylish too. While it’s true that most shoe styles made with hemp are casual, designers are starting to create dress shoes that are made with this sustainable fiber.
Here’s a quick video about the many positives of hemp shoes:
What makes hemp an ideal material for shoes?
Hemp is proving itself to be one of the most versatile, eco-friendly materials around:
- The hemp plant grows easily and sustainably without the use of pesticide, herbicides, and fungicides, so much of the hemp fiber you see is organic.
- The naturally anti-microbial properties of hemp make it an ideal material for shoes, as it doesn’t hold on to odors like other materials, including leather and some synthetics.
- Hemp is hypoallergenic, so unlike wool, it won’t irritate your skin.
- Hemp fiber is extremely strong, which makes it durable enough for shoes.
- As a natural fiber, unlike synthetics, hemp will eventually decompose. This is good news because your hemp shoes will have a lighter environmental footprint than shoes made with petroleum-based materials or animal skin that’s been treated with preservatives.
Here are a variety of styles for women, followed by styles for men:
Hemp Shoes for Women
1. Sanuk Women’s Hemp Slip-ons
These comfy ladies’ slip-on shoes from Sanuk have 100% hemp uppers. They’ve also got a cushioned EVA footbed and rubber soles.
Available colors: black, red, gray, and natural
2. Women’s Hemp Puff Booties
Available colors: natural and lavender
3. Astral Women’s Hemp and Recycled Polyester Sneakers
Perfect for hiking on trails, walking your pup around town, or any active day, these cute eco-friendly sneakers have a breathable hemp and recycled polyester upper.
Available colors: gray multi
4. Astral Women’s Hemp Flats
Available colors: gray multi
5. Leaf to Ember Ladies’ Hemp Shoes
Hailing from Albany, Oregon, Leaf to Ember makes a variety of shoes and accessories in sustainable hemp. They come in a few different colors, and all have an Eco-Pure® foam midsole and outsole that promotes biodegradation.
6. Natural Hemp Shoes by Hemp Made in Ukraine
Hemp Made in Ukraine makes a variety of shoes and accessories with organic hemp. Naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic, these shoes are comfortable enough to wear with bare feet, and they won’t hold on to odors. And if you’re concerned about their light color, no worries! You can throw these puppies into the washing machine.
7. Vivobarefoot Women’s Hemp Gobi Booties
Known for their light and flexible athletic shoes, Vivobarefoot has recently come out with a new line made with hemp, including these Gobi hiker booties. They’re perfect for long walks and easy hikes, or just hanging out.
8. Vibram Women’s Hemp Barefoot Shoes
Available colors: brown and black
9. Ladies’ Hemp Platform Sneakers
The cute platform sneakers are made with 100% hemp fabric – both the uppers and cushioned insoles. They’re handmade and they come in a few different color combos.
10. Hemp Moccasin Booties
These moccasin-style boots are hand-crocheted with hemp and jute. There’s also a style that goes above the knee.
For more comfy moccasin-style shoes, see my post on vegan uggs and moccasins.
11. Women’s Linen and Jute Shoes
While these shoes are technically not made with hemp, I included them as an honorable mention for the ladies’ hemp shoes section because they’re made with two other sustainable, natural fibers: jute and linen.
To see more cute styles by this brand, check out my post on women’s vegan sandals.
Hemp Shoes for Men
12. Astral Men’s Hemp and Recycled Polyester Shoe
These versatile sneakers are the perfect travel shoes – great for hiking in nature or trekking around the urban jungle. The eco-friendly upper is made with hemp and recycled polyester.
Available colors: dark brown and gray
13. Vibram Men’s Hemp Barefoot Shoes
For those times you’d rather go barefoot, but it’s just not a good idea, there are these athletic “toe” shoes by Vibram. Now, with a new style in hemp, you can have it all: go quasi-barefoot while being gentle on the Earth and animals.
Available colors: black and brown
14. Sanuk Men’s Hemp Slip-on Shoes
Available colors: red, black, dark gray, navy blue, natural tan, brown, light brown
15. Leaf to Ember Men’s Hemp Shoes
16. Men’s Hemp Oxfords
If you love hemp and are looking for a dressier shoe, check out these hemp oxfords from Hemp Made in the Ukraine. Plus, they make some more casual styles in eco-friendly hemp.
17. Hemp Shoes by Risorse Future
Risorse Future is an eco-conscious brand that makes a couple of styles of cool hemp shoes for men. In addition to these hemp desert boots, they make a hemp high top sneaker.
18. Virblatt Men’s Hemp Espadrilles
These men’s hemp espadrilles say, “Vacation.” They’re handmade in Northern Thailand from natural, locally grown hemp. Plus, they have padded insoles and natural rubber soles.
Available colors: natural, black, and multi