Hemp shoes check a lot of positive boxes. They’re eco-friendly and durable, plus they’re usually vegan-friendly. In addition, hemp material breathes and it gets softer with wear. So, like your favorite sneakers or jeans, hemp shoes break in well to create the perfect fit.
As we become more environmentally conscious, wearing shoes made with sustainable, cruelty-free materials speaks volumes about our personal values and social awareness.
Hemp shoes are stylish too. While it’s true that most shoe styles made with hemp are casual, designers are starting to create dress shoes that are made with this sustainable fiber.
Here’s a quick video about the many positives of hemp shoes:
What makes hemp an ideal material for shoes?
Hemp is proving itself to be one of the most versatile, eco-friendly materials around:
- The hemp plant grows easily and sustainably without the use of pesticide, herbicides, and fungicides, so much of the hemp fiber you see is organic.
- The naturally anti-microbial properties of hemp make it an ideal material for shoes, as it doesn’t hold on to odors like other materials, including leather and some synthetics.
- Hemp is hypoallergenic, so unlike wool, it won’t irritate your skin.
- Hemp fiber is extremely strong, which makes it durable enough for shoes.
- As a natural fiber, unlike synthetics, hemp will eventually decompose. This is good news because your hemp shoes will have a lighter environmental footprint than shoes made with petroleum-based materials or animal skin that’s been treated with preservatives.
Here are a variety of styles for women, followed by styles for men:
Hemp Shoes for Women
1. Sanuk Women’s Hemp Slip-ons
These comfy ladies’ slip-on shoes from Sanuk have 100% hemp uppers. They’ve also got a cushioned EVA footbed and rubber soles.
Available colors: black, red, gray, and natural
2. Women’s Hemp Puff Booties
Available colors: natural and lavender
3. Rawganique Women’s Hemp Ballet Flats
Rawganique is a sustainable brand that’s been on the seen making hemp clothing and accessories since before hemp became really cool. Since then, they’ve branched out to offer a wide selection of eco-friendly, well-made hemp shoes and more. These women’s ballet flats are the perfect shoe for all-day wear.
4. Rawganique Organic Hemp Lace Up Shoes
These adorable lace up shoes with alpine-style eyelets are handmade with 100% organic hemp. The also have hand-cut natural rubber souls. (A note on Rawganique’s shoes: many are unisex, so if you’re a guy and you life these shoes – go for it!)
5. Sustainable Hemp Booties
These cozy and sustainable hemp booties are also handmade. Plus, they’re lined with 100% organic cotton fleece. And you can wear them in wet weather because they’re been waterproofed with 100% natural wax. In addition, they have natural rubber soles.
6. Astral Women’s Hemp and Recycled Polyester Sneakers
Perfect for hiking on trails, walking your pup around town, or any active day, these cute eco-friendly sneakers have a breathable hemp and recycled polyester upper.
Available colors: gray multi
7. Astral Women’s Hemp Flats
Available colors: gray multi
8. 8000 Kicks Waterproof Hemp Shoes
8000 Kicks is a new brand on the scene that has a super durable hemp sneaker. Designed in Portugal, these shoes are 100% vegan, super comfortable, and water resistant.
9. Leaf to Ember Ladies’ Hemp Shoes
Hailing from Albany, Oregon, Leaf to Ember makes a variety of shoes and accessories in sustainable hemp. They come in a few different colors, and all have an Eco-Pure® foam midsole and outsole that promotes biodegradation.
10. Natural Hemp Shoes by Hemp Made in Ukraine
Hemp Made in Ukraine makes a variety of shoes and accessories with organic hemp. Naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic, these shoes are comfortable enough to wear with bare feet, and they won’t hold on to odors. And if you’re concerned about their light color, no worries! You can throw these puppies into the washing machine.
11. Vibram Women’s Hemp Barefoot Shoes
Available colors: brown and black
12. Hemp Moccasin Booties
These moccasin-style boots are hand-crocheted with hemp and jute. There’s also a style that goes above the knee.
For more comfy moccasin-style shoes, see my post on vegan uggs and moccasins.
13. Women’s Linen and Jute Shoes
While these shoes are technically not made with hemp, I included them as an honorable mention for the ladies’ hemp shoes section because they’re made with two other sustainable, natural fibers: jute and linen.
To see more cute styles by this brand, check out my post on women’s vegan sandals.
Hemp Shoes for Men
14. Astral Men’s Hemp and Recycled Polyester Shoe
These versatile sneakers are the perfect travel shoes – great for hiking in nature or trekking around the urban jungle. The eco-friendly upper is made with hemp and recycled polyester.
Available colors: dark brown and gray
15. Rawganique Hemp HighTops
These handmade organic hemp high tops even have hemp shoes laces. Plus, they’ve been waterproofed with 100% natural wax. A padded footbed makes them comfortable enough to wear all day, wherever your adventures take you.
16. Jo Hemp High Tops
Jo Hemp makes a number of different styles of hemp shoes, from slip-ons to Oxfords, sneakers, and these cool high top sneakers. These shoes are super soft and comfortable. And when they’re made with hemp, they’re naturally anti-microbial.
Based in Portugal, 8000 Kicks teamed up with Bloom Foam to create a super light algae footbed for these cool hemp sneakers. These shoes are also water-resistant.
18. Vibram Men’s Hemp Barefoot Shoes
For those times you’d rather go barefoot, but it’s just not a good idea, there are these athletic “toe” shoes by Vibram. Now, with a new style in hemp, you can have it all: go quasi-barefoot while being gentle on the Earth and animals.
Available colors: black and brown
19. Sanuk Men’s Hemp Slip-on Shoes
Available colors: red, black, dark gray, navy blue, natural tan, brown, light brown
20. Leaf to Ember Men’s Hemp Shoes
21. Men’s Hemp Oxfords
If you love hemp and are looking for a dressier shoe, check out these hemp oxfords from Hemp Made in the Ukraine. Plus, they make some more casual styles in eco-friendly hemp.
22. Risorse Future Hemp Shoes
An eco-conscious brand, Risorse Future is makes cool hemp shoes for men.
23. Virblatt Men’s Hemp Espadrilles
These men’s hemp espadrilles say, “Vacation.” They’re handmade in Northern Thailand from natural, locally grown hemp. Plus, they have padded insoles and natural rubber soles.
Available colors: natural, black, and multi