These flavorful vegan moussaka bowls are fast and easy to make. But your guests won’t think you made them in a hurry because they’re so tasty!
For the lentil mince:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 400g (14oz) can green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp yeast extract
For the aubergines (eggplants):
- 2 aubergines (eggplants), sliced into 1cm ( ½ in) rounds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
For the nutmeg yoghurt and garnish
- 8 tbsp unsweetened soy yoghurt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of flaked sea salt
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly torn
- Start by making the lentil mince. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium–high heat and cook the onion for 2–3 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the garlic, cinnamon, paprika and oregano, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, lentils and yeast extract, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the aubergines. Heat a griddle pan until hot.
- Brush the aubergine slices with the olive oil and place them on the hot pan, cooking them for 2–3 minutes on each side until softened and grill marks appear. Grill the tomatoes for 1 minute, cut-side down.
- Spoon the lentil mince into bowls along with the aubergine slices and griddled tomato halves. Spoon over the soy yoghurt and sprinkle with the grated nutmeg.
- Season to taste with sea salt and scatter.
This recipe is courtesy of Foodista, the cooking encyclopedia that everyone can edit.