This delicious salad has a spicy kick with its lime sesame dressing. Made with tempeh, it’s also packed with protein and other nutritional benefits. Learn more in UniGuide’s tempeh guide.
2 tablespoons Shoyu (soy sauce) or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
2 tablespoons sweetner of choice
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup filtered water
2 cups gluten free rice spirals (or your favorite pasta)
1 lemon (juiced)
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced yellow squash
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 bunch large red leaf lettuce (washed& chopped)
Flat-leaf parsley (chopped for garnish)
Sesame Lime Dressing
3 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Shoyu (soy sauce) or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1 teaspoon agave
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Combine and shake well
- Cut tempeh into cubes, then marinate in a mixture of shoyu and agave for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid, reserving it, and roll the nuggets in the arrowroot powder. Keep rolling nuggets until all the arrowroot powder has been incorporated by the Tempeh.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and fry the tempeh over medium heat until light golden brown. Watch very carefully not to over brown, turning each square of tempeh over, and then over again until done. Spoon out any left over oil and discard. Add 1/4 cup water plus the left over shoyu and agave liquid from Step 1, and cook until absorbed, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Bring the pasta water to a boil. Boil the pasta for 8 minutes (look at box directions). Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. Sprinkle pasta with 1 tsp. olive oil and juice of 1 lemon. Mix carefully not to break pasta noodles. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and saute the onions for 2 minutes. Then add the carrot, celery and yellow squash. Saute for a few minutes. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix tempeh with your carrot, celery and yellow squash mixture.
Arrange 2 plates with 1/2 of the red lettuce. On top of each bed of lettuce put 1/2 of the pasta. On top of the pasta spoon over the Tempeh/Vegetable mixture. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with Sesame Lime Dressing on the side.