UniGuide is visitor-supported. If you buy products that you link to from UniGuide, we may earn a small commission. Learn more.

Posted in Food & Entertaining News

2020 Academy Awards Are Going Vegan

Janice Lundy is retired after 30 years teaching high school. She lives in the country where she gardens organically and hikes enthusiastically, and is active in local theater.
2020 Academy Awards Are Going Vegan Posted on February 5, 2020Leave a comment
Janice Lundy is retired after 30 years teaching high school. She lives in the country where she gardens organically and hikes enthusiastically, and is active in local theater.

Vegan 2020 Academy Awards

As more and more celebrities embrace the vegan lifestyle, it’s becoming necessary to move towards having vegan-friendly meals at even the most glamorous of Hollywood events. The Golden Globes set the standard with a completely plant-based meal in January 2020, and the Academy Awards have also made a bold move in the same direction.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Raspi (@raspikabek) on


The Oscars set the tone at the Oscars Nominee Luncheon on January 27th, serving a full-course vegan meal for all guests. The main course was roasted mushrooms with forbidden black rice and winter squash and cauliflower. Appetizers included vegan cheese and bread, and dessert featured a fruit pate and kumquat pavlova, all made with plant-based ingredients.

On the evening of the awards ceremony on February 9th, all of the refreshments served in the lobby will be vegan. At the Governor’s Ball afterwards, 70 percent of the food will be vegan, while the remaining 30 percent will be vegetarian or include meat and fish.

The celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck says, “We have this year a great variety of vegan dishes, because I think it’s also fun for us.” He’s planning on a vegan pasta with mushrooms and vegetables, with almond milk to create a rich cream sauce.

Other notable events are going vegan. Environmental and vegan activist Joaquin Phoenix will the guest of honor at a pre-party hosted by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment where the menu will be entirely vegan, catered by the vegan restaurant Nic’s. Phoenix is a strong voice for veganism, and has followed a vegan diet since he was three years old. He led a demonstration against animal cruelty in London on February 2nd.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Brut (@brutamerica) on

The move towards a vegan menu is part of the Academy’s goal of becoming more environmentally progressive. The organization released a statement saying,

“For the past decade, the Academy has been committed to reducing its carbon footprint. For the past seven years, the Oscars have had a zero-carbon imprint. We continue to expand our sustainability plan with the ultimate goal of becoming carbon neutral.”

With vegan meals being showcased at some of the most publicized events in the world, with the most glamorous celebrities in attendance, there’s an increased awareness of a vegan diet as ethical, healthy, and environmentally responsible – not to mention sophisticated and delicious.

Related Posts

Janice Lundy is retired after 30 years teaching high school. She lives in the country where she gardens organically and hikes enthusiastically, and is active in local theater.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *